Skip to main content

Protests escalate in bahrain


Protests escalate in bahrain, Formula one moves to Bahrain this weekend, with the Grand Prix again taking place against a backdrop of long-running dissent and continued protest.

In 2011 the race was shelved due to pro-democracy protests but resumed last year, despite calls for it to be axed due to human rights abuses and heavy-handed police tactics against protesters.

The run-up to Sunday's race has again witnessed an increase in protests by opposition groups and a crackdown by the Bahrain authorities, prompting fresh calls for F1 to question its annual presence in the country on ethical grounds.
Young protesters who took to the streets sounding drums have called the race "the Formula of blood".

Formula One's commercial rights holder, Bernie Ecclestone, though, has dismissed concerns about holding the race in the country, while the Bahrain government has pledged to take "appropriate" measures to ensure security.
One notable absentee from the race will be Jean Todt, as he seeks re-election as president of world motorsport governing body the FIA.

Graffiti on walls said: "No F1. Don't race on our blood."

This comes as Bahrain's main opposition bloc called for more peaceful anti-regime demonstrations across the Persian Gulf state ahead of the upcoming Formula One Grand Prix.
"I am calling on people to share peaceful protests to send a message to the world about our demand for peaceful democratic reform," said Sheikh Ali Salman, head of Bahrain's al-Wefaq opposition group, on Wednesday.
Salman further urged Bahrainis to take advantage of the spotlight shone on the kingdom due to the international racing event to showcase their message of change.

"I am against violence. Our protest is to take place today, tomorrow and on Friday," the al-Wefaq leader said.

Khalil Marzouq, a leading figure of the al-Wefaq party, also said tens of thousands of people are expected to take part in the main anti-regime demonstration, which is scheduled to be held on Friday.
"These demonstrations show that the movement continues and the demands have not been met yet. Obviously, the presence of the media for the Formula One helps shed the spotlight on Bahrain," Marzouq added.

Popular posts from this blog

'Star Trek' Actress Grace Lee Whitney Dies at 85

'Star Trek' Actress Grace Lee Whitney Dies at 85, Grace Lee Whitney, the on-screen character who played Yeoman Janice Rand on the first Star Trek, passed away Friday. She was 85. Every USA Today, child Jonathan Dweck said the star passed on of common reasons at her home in Central California. Whitney depicted Captain Kirk's collaborator for eight scenes of the first 1966 TV arrangement before she was composed out of the script. At the point when Star Trek was renewed as a motion picture establishment in 1979, the performing artist returned as a boss frivolous officer in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Her last appearance as Rand was in 1991's Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. William Shatner, who played Whitney's onscreen manager, tweeted Monday: "Sympathies to the group of Grace. She was a consistent sparkling grin throughout the years each time our ways crossed." Every NBC News, Whitney was a customary at Star Trek traditions around the glob...

Guinness World Records Most live streams for a single event

Guinness World Records Most live streams for a single event, The YouTube broadcast of Prince William’s marriage to Catherine Middleton (both UK) in London, UK, on 29 April 2011 achieved a record 72 million live views, as people from 188 countries around the world tuned in to watch the event on the company’s official Royal Channel. Although this figure alone was enough to beat the 70 million streams achieved during the inauguration of US President Barack Obama in 2009, the wedding’s overall tally is likely to have been significantly higher when taking into account the millions watching via other live streaming services.

Royal wedding more than 24.5 million UK viewers

Royal wedding more than 24.5 million UK viewers, Prince William and Kate Middleton's Royal Wedding was watched by more than 24 million terrestrial TV viewers in the UK, according to overnight estimates from industry body Barb. The BBC achieved a large share of the UK viewing figures for Friday's (April 29) ceremony, with a peak figure of 20 million tuning in to the corporation's broadcast of the Westminster Abbey service. More than 34 million people caught at least some of the Royal Wedding coverage through the BBC, including on its iPlayer service, reports BBC News. Sky News said it had a peak of 661,000 viewers at the start of the wedding ceremony, while BBC Two, Channel 4 and Five only made up 1 per cent of the audience as the nuptials began. William and Kate's service is now in the all-time top 10 programmes in the UK, but drew less viewers than the 1966 World Cup Final (32.3 million) and Princess Diana's funeral in 1997 (32.1 million).