Sandra Bullock talks Louis, Twitter, new film in 'Vogue'

Sandra Bullock talks Louis, Twitter, new film in 'Vogue'
Sandra Bullock talks Louis, Twitter, new film in 'Vogue'
Sandra Bullock talks Louis, Twitter, new film in 'Vogue', Sandra Bullock is back and on Vogue's October cover, showing off her elegant back. And an unusual hairdo.

Inside, the "beloved and bankable" Bullock talks about son Louis, now 3; about why she lives in Texas; why she doesn't have a Twitter account; and about how her new sci-fi film, Gravity, is about being lost in space and alone — really alone.

That's one good thing about drifting in a crippled space shuttle: No paparazzi.

In her fifth Vogue cover, Bullock looks out at the viewer over one shoulder, in a glittery, sequined Marc Jacobs gown with a plunging back, proving that her back is as attractive as her front. But what's up with her hair?

Huffington Post admitted to loving the cover but being confused by her "beehive" hairdo, with "a mullet-like curl" hanging from the back. Only last week, Bullock was in Toronto for the film festival, her tresses long and loose. No mullets in sight.

In the cover story inside, Bullock reaffirms her commitment to motherhood over movie career in rather dramatic fashion.

"Bullock and Louis (pronounced LOU-ee) remain an inseparable tandem," writer Jason Gay reports. "Bullock customizes her life around his, trying to minimize interruptions."

"I think this business can take the child out of kids so quickly," she says. "I don't want him to have pressures brought on by what I do. I will quit. I will leave. If I see whatever I'm doing affecting him negatively, I will pack up and move to Alaska."

That would be far away from California, where she lives, and Austin, Texas, where she also lives and owns a flower shop, bakery and sandwich shops. Austin is heaven, she says, and Gay agrees.

"Austin made it possible to not be Sandra Bullock, movie star, celebrity, paparazzi target. Here she could crawl out of that protective exoskeleton she calls her 'armor' and be a human being," he writes.

"'I felt like myself," Bullock says. "It was just my safe place. I would get off the plane, smell the soil, hear the cicadas. . . "

How come she's not on Twitter? "I don't want anyone to know where I am," she replies. This explains why she hangs out in Austin, a city where neither the box office nor the paparazzi are very important, Gay writes.

So why is she posing for Vogue? To promote the forthcoming Gravity, the new film from Mexican director Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men, Y Tu Mamá También), in which she stars as Dr. Ryan Stone, a NASA medical engineer working for the first time aboard the space shuttle when a disaster strikes, stranding her in space, cut off from all contact, running out of oxygen, desperate to find her way back to Earth.

Bullock says it was a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity. "You check it off and go, 'If it ends here, I've ended up on top,' " she says. "There's nothing else to do.' "

What about all the unpleasantness when her Oscar win for best actress in 2009 was followed by an ugly split from a cheating husband (and the news she had adopted Louis)? Over it.

"We're all where we're supposed to be," she says now. "I am exactly where I want to be now. You can't go backward. I'm not going backward. I'm grateful that I'm here, blessed to have what I have. Nobody can be prepared for anything. If you end up in a place where you can look back and go, 'It happened, but I'm so lucky to be sitting where I am sitting. . . .' "